Recruiting Privacy Notice
DATE OF LAST MODIFICATION
December 13, 2018
Digi-Key Electronics and its group companies ("Digi-Key" or "we") are committed to safeguarding your privacy.
This Recruiting Privacy Notice ("Privacy Notice") describes Digi-Key’s collection, use, disclosure, transfer, and storage ("Processing") of Digi-Key applicants' / prospective candidates' personal data as part of the recruitment process. How we process your personal data may vary by jurisdiction based on applicable law.
We will collect and process any personal information that you provide to us in connection with your application and recruitment process with us. This may include:
- contact information, such as name, email address, physical addresses, and telephone number in order to communicate with you directly in advance of or during an on-site or phone interview;
- information that you provide to us when submitting a job resume (CV) whether via registration in the Applicant Self-Service Center (United States only), by email, or at a recruiting event;
- any other information that you provide to us in connection with your job application including, academic and professional qualifications (degrees, titles, skills, language proficiencies, training information) employment background/history or any other employment related-information.
As part of the application process we may request additional information for purposes described at the time it is collected or as necessary to establish, administer and manage the recruitment process. Digi-Key does not require you to provide any of the following data as part of the recruitment process but may ask for the following information to be provided on a voluntary disclosure basis when required or allowed by law: racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, biometric data, data concerning health or gender, and criminal history.
Digi-Key collects information about you in connection with its recruitment processes in a variety of ways, including directly from you, but also from third party or public sources. For example, personal information might be collected via the application process on our Applicant Self-Service Center. Resumes (or CVs) may be collected at interviews or during other forms of assessment during the application evaluation process. We may also review public records information in order to evaluate your qualifications, or conduct background screenings relevant for the job to which you applied, as permitted by applicable law. We may also verify personal information from business directories such as LinkedIn.
We may also collect information from third parties, such as references supplied by former employers, or recruiting agencies that supply Digi-Key with potential job applications in relation to evaluating your eligibility for employment.
If you are in the United States and choose to apply for a position at Digi-Key, we will request that you create an account with a username and password on our Application Self-Service Center. You will also have the option to "Apply with LinkedIn". By using this feature, you will allow LinkedIn to share your information with Digi-Key. You may also submit your resume or CV via email, if made available in the Application Self-Service Center. If outside the U.S., you can submit your CV or resume using the "Submit Resume" button which will send an email to the relevant Human Resources department.
Digi-Key processes your personal information to administer recruitment activities, such as using your information to contact you about potential job opportunities and to take necessary steps prior to entering into an employment relationship.
As part of the recruitment process, this may involve processing your personal information in the following ways and for the following purposes:
- establishing, administering, and managing all aspects of the employment application process (including travel arrangements and expenses for interviews);
- where necessary to comply with applicable legal or regulatory requirements;
- review and verification of your resume and application related information;
- evaluating and reporting the demographic makeup of our applicants where allowed by law (e.g., diversity reporting);
- communicating with you about the status of your application and/or other opportunities; and,
- other purposes described to you at the time we collect your personal information.
The personal information collected will be stored in accordance with applicable laws and kept as long as needed to carry out the purposes described in this Privacy Notice or as otherwise required by applicable law. Generally, this means your personal information will be retained until the end of your employment application review period plus a reasonable period of time thereafter to respond to application-related inquiries, to consider you for other immediate roles, to deal with any legal matters or, as applicable. We may retain your personal information for longer where you have requested to be considered for other roles.
If your application for a position at Digi-Key is successful, the personal information collected during the recruitment process will be added to your human resources file and retained for the duration of your employment with us and in accordance with our retention policy.
As part of the recruitment process, Digi-Key may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- internally to Digi-Key related companies, Digi-Key personnel, contractors, and vendors who require such information to assist the relevant Digi-Key company with whom you have applied, with establishing, administering, and managing the recruiting process such as members of the HR and recruitment team, interviewers involved in the recruitment process, managers in the business area with a vacancy and IT staff if access to the data is necessary for the performance of their roles;
- third-party service providers who process personal information as data processors on behalf of Digi-Key in connection with their provision of certain services to us. For example: in the United States, we may use Employment Screening Associates (background checks), Global Safety Network (pre-employment drug tests) and eSkill (pre-employment skill testing). In Germany, we may use Liebwein GmbH Recruiting (employment agency), the Official Munich Job Center (employment agency) and Stepstone.de (recruiting agency).
- third parties with whom you instruct Digi-Key to share your personal information;
- any law enforcement, regulatory or other government entities, court or other authorized third parties where Digi-Key has a good faith belief such disclosure is required to comply with applicable law or to respond to a valid legal process;
- other third parties to act on a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to protect your, or other third parties’ vital interests or safety; and
- other corporate entities (e.g. an actual or potential buyer, or its agents and advisers) if Digi-Key goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of its assets.
Third parties processing personal information (such as background or employment check service providers) on Digi-Key’s behalf (i.e. our data processors) must abide by data privacy and security requirements and may only process Digi-Key company personal information as instructed by Digi-Key.
When you visit Digi-Key’s recruiting web pages or the recruiting portions of our site, Digi-Key may observe your activities, interactions, preferences, transactional information, and other computer and connection information (such as IP address) relating to your use of our websites and our services.
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country and, in some cases, may not be as protective.
Specifically, our website servers are located in the USA, and our group companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in any of the countries we operate in.
However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice. These include implementing the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses where appropriate, which can be provided on request. We have implemented similar appropriate safeguards with our third-party service providers and partners and further details can also be provided upon request.
Our recruiting and career sites are not intended to solicit, collect or process personal information from any individual under the age of sixteen . If you are a parent or guardian, please contact us using the contact information beneath "Contact" section below, if you believe information regarding a child has been collected by us through any of our recruiting or career sites.
If you are an applicant or candidate in the European Economic Area, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally only collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to enter into a contract with you (i.e. enter into an employment or work relationship with us), or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area, you have the following rights:
- You have the right to request access, rectification or erasure of your personal information.
- You have the right to ask us to restrict processing, to object to our processing in certain circumstances and request portability of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- If you have provided consent for the processing of your personal data you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time which will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent was withdrawn.
- You also have the right to lodge a complaint to the competent data protection supervisory authority if you believe that we have not complied with the requirements of the GDPR with regard to your personal information.
You can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under "Contact" section below. We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
For the purposes of European data protection laws, the Digi–Key company that you are applying for a position with will be the data controller of your information. In addition, Digi-Key Corporation will also act as a joint controller and a processor of your data in respect of Digi-Key's recruitment processing activities.
Digi-Key has implemented appropriate technical measures designed to protect your personal information against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, damage, alteration or industry standard security measures to ensure the security of information. However, the security of information transmitted through the Internet can never be guaranteed.
Digi-Key is not responsible for any interception or interruption of any communications through the Internet or for changes to or losses of information. Users of our sites are responsible for maintaining the security of any password, user ID, or other form of authentication involved in obtaining access to password protected or secure areas of any Digi-Key websites.
In order to protect you and your information, Digi-Key may suspend your use of a website, without notice, pending an investigation, if any breach of security is suspected. Access to and use of password protected and/or secure area of any Digi-Key’s recruiting web pages is restricted to authorized users only.
We take steps to help ensure that the personal information we maintain is accurate and up to date, and that you have the ability to access and make corrections. If you need to update, change or request access to your information, please log into your account on our Applicant Self-Service Center (United States only) or send an email to the applicable Contact noted below.
You are under no statutory or contractual obligation to provide personal information to Digi-Key during the recruitment process and you may choose not to provide some of the personal information for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice. Depending on the information you may choose not to provide, we may not be able to process your application, request or onboard for employment related purposes.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us using the following details:
Outside the EU
If you are based outside of the EEA, please contact the Privacy Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inside the EU
If you are a resident in the EEA, you can contact our EU Representative, Digi-Key Electronics Germany Gmbh at: email@example.com.
If you are a resident of Germany, you can contact our German Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unsatisfied with the processing of your personal information you have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant data protection supervisory authority.
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time in order to reflect operational, legal or regulatory reasons.
The date at the top of this Privacy Notice indicates when it was last updated.
DATE OF LAST MODIFICATION
December 13, 2018